What's a Superfood? - Duke's Materia Tonica
February 15, 2020 13:29
What's a Superfood?
Superfoods are nutrient dense foods that are full of essential vitamins and minerals. They usually contain antioxidant nutrients that are very healthful for continuous consumption, such as colored plant-pigments generally called phenols, carotenoids, and so on. Antioxidants is to support the oxidation of carbohydrates and fats for energy and to support vascular circulation and heart health. For example:
- Blueberry skins contain proanthocyanidins which are effective antioxidants.
- Schisandra has a variety of polyphenols that detoxify the blood and maintain liver function.
- Green tea has a potent polyphenols called catechins that greatly assist fat-burning.
- Huckleberries and bilberries, have dark-colored plant pigments called cyanidins which promote circulation that maintains eye health.
Superfoods may also contain a high concentration of unique nutrients that promote health, performance and well-being such as polysaccharides which build immune function or caffeine which promotes energy.
- Goji berry is loaded with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and polysaccharides.
- Cocoa is used to make chocolate which has minerals, antioxidants and theobromine, a milder energy and circulation stimulant than caffeine.
- Black cherry, a tart version of the common cherry, contains vitamins, minerals and glycosides that support blood circulation in the joints for minor discomfort and to promote flexibility.
Choosing a Superfood
Superfoods make your food and diet work better!
Include at least one superfood and/or superfood supplement daily.
Better yet, have a superfood with every meal to build-up overall health and promote continuous daily performance.
Goji is one of the best superfoods with plenty of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and polysaccharides.
Schisandra is a potent superfood that is very concentrated in various plant pigment antioxidants with additional vitamins and minerals.
Berry Blood is an astragalus tonic that includes three superfood berries: goji, schisandra, and mulberry.
Ashwagandha Cherry is an ashwagandha root and rhodiola root tonic that includes black cherry and schisandra berry.
1. Tonic Tinctures Original Research
Dark-colored plant pigment polyphenols, such as dark red, purple and blue, are the best antioxidants. A quick and concise research summary of many different dark-colored superfoods and their various benefits. With about 20 references.