He Shou Wu Has These Key Benefits:
- Support daily stress-resistance and stress recovery*
- Promote endurance and longevity*
Maintain adrenal stress resistance*
- Promote healthy hair and strong nails*
- Support healthy vascular function*
- Support liver function and detoxification*
Support physical intimacy*
- Promote overall well-being*
Benefits and Uses*
Polygonum, also known as fleece flower and knotweed, is a plant with vines that is native to parts of Asia. 'He Shou Wu' is the Chinese name for polygonum roots that have been cooked and prepared into a tonic for consumption, also known as 'Fo-ti' or by a variant translation 'Ho Sho Wu'.
He Shou Wu is a Legendary Tonic Herb
He Shou Wu loosely translates 'Mister He's Crow-black Hair", because he discovered it's benefits from consumption, which darkened his black hair, promoted youthfulness and benefited his virility.
There are also many other different legends, with numerous variations, about He Shou Wu that include brothers, uncles and fathers of the hills and mountain energies of the Earth.
The classical Chinese herbalists believed that long-term consumption fosters stability and longevity.
Taoist hermits living in seclusion, within the hills and mountains, were recorded hundreds of years ago to take He Shou Wu for their qi gong meditations, as part of their longevity promoting lifestyles.*
He Shou Wu is a Nutritional Powerhouse Tonic Herb
He Shou Wu is a potent tonic that is concentrated in a spectrum of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and other unique constituents. It includes:
- Polyphenol and bioflavonoid antioxidants such as anthocyanins, quercetins, catechins, epicatechins, and gallic acid
- Resveratrol-like glycosides
Vitamins - Riboflavin, thiamin, folic acid, and vitamin K
- Trace minerals: Iron, zinc, calcium, manganese, selenium, potassium, copper, and phosphorus
- Emodin anthraquinones
In Summary: Numerous antioxidants, along with resveratrol-like glycosides, promote recovery, vascular health, adrenals, energy metabolism and protect cells from oxidative damage and toxins.*
B vitamins and trace minerals assist energy production, hydration, stress response and promote tissue healing.*
Emodin promotes healthy bowel movements and detoxification to support liver health.* Lecithin is part of fat, cholesterol and hormone metabolism which supports hormone and liver health.*
He Shou Wu Batch Specs
We formulate using a variety of extraction steps and techniques for multi-step potency which include:
- Artisan-formulated for Wholistic Effects and Benefits
- Chinese He Shou Wu Roots
- Prepared by Double-boiling and Steaming for Several Hours Using:
- Yellow rice wine
- Black soya beans juice
- All Active Parts of the Root Extracted and Preserved
- Cold Processed Where Appropriate to Preserve Integrity of Fragile Constituents
- Dual Solvent: Water and Alcohol for 99.9% constituent content
- Stabilized for Natural Preservation - No Preservatives
- This formulation uses moderate alcohol, 25% by volume, so that it may be taken every day consistently as a building tonic.
See our homepage for more about our methods.
- He Shou Wu (Organic) Polygonum multiflorum root
- Prepared with yellow rice wine and black soya bean juice
- Structured Distilled Water
- Triple Filtered USP Grade Organic Alcohol (25% by volume)
Recommended Dosage: 333 – 3000 milligrams @ 1-3 times a day*
He Shou Wu Dosage Equation:
The dosage of most tonics works by bodyweight and activity level and dietary factors. The amount of He Shou Wu taken is similar for everyone and mainly affected by activity level.
BW + AL + DF
- Bodyweight (BW)is the overall weight measured by a bathroom or locker room scale.
- Activity level (AL)is a relative unit based on the amount of work accomplished, stress-levels and fitness-intensity.
- Diet factors (DF)are based on how much calories and food is taken in, such as protein, fat, and carbohydrates.
Estimated Daily Dosage:
BW = 1 dropper per ~100 pounds of bodyweight
AL = + 1-4 droppers - 1-2 low/medium, 2-4 medium/high
DF = + 0 droppers
Example #1: 115lb person (BW = 1 dropper) who is working at a relaxed socially oriented office job (AL = 1-2 droppers) and eats ~1750 kcals (DF = 0 dropper) would have a functional dosage of ~2-3 droppers daily, divided into 1-3 doses across the day.
Example #1 is BW 1 + AL 1-2 + DF 0 = ~2-3 droppers
Example #2: 210lb person (BW = 2 droppers) who is working a very high-stress job (AL = 2-4 droppers) and eats ~2500 kcals (DF = 0 droppers) would have a functional dosage of ~4-6 droppers daily, divided into 1-3 doses across the day.
Example #2 is BW 2 + AL 2-4 + DF 0 = ~4-6 droppers
To find a functional dose, start with a minimum dose of 10 drops to 1 dropper and work up to a functional dose.* Many benefits of tonics come from consistent and continued use over a period of time.*
He Shou Wu dropper:
- 60 1ml droppers in a 2oz (60ml) bottle
- 1ml dropper = ~1000 mgs He Shou Wu extract
He Shou Wu drops:
- 30 drops in a 1ml dropper
- 1 drop = ~33 mgs He Shou Wu extract
Suggested He Shou Wu Cycle:*
- Initial Phase = 1-3 months
- Long Term = ∞
- Optional Cycle-off Period = a couple weeks.
Continuous consumption of He Shou Wu will yield increasing benefits and results over the time consumed; in other words, consistent daily consumption of He Shou Wu at a functional dosage over the period of suggested time will increase health and wellness benefits.*
It is recommended to continue taking He Shou Wu as part of a healthy diet for overall health and wellness benefits.*
How to Take
He Shou Wu may be taken anytime but is best taken around meal and snack time.
Do not take too much He Shou Wu at one time when starting. It may cause loose stools which the body will become accustomed to over time.* Start with one dropper and then build up to 2-3 droppers at a time, if desired. If you get loose bowels, skip a dose, and start again at a lower dosage.*
Best benefits from He Shou Wu will come from consistent and continuous consumption over a period of time.* Take at least once a day, preferably in the evening around dinner time. He Shou Wu may be taken up to 2-3 times a day for stress adaptogen benefits.*
Benefits with tonics take time; taking enough consistently rewards health †
Take as Desired: Consume on a continuous basis to develop the natural tonic benefits that build over time.* Some benefits are immediate, while some results require consumption over several days and weeks to achieve.*
Shake Gently: Secure the lid and turn the bottle over back-and-forth 3-5 times to evenly distribute the tincture. Do not over-shake, as the vigorous mixing of air with the extract will oxidize and damage many of the necessary constituents for required dosage and potency.
By Mouth: Hold the liquid under the tongue for 60-90 seconds and then swallow the rest of extract. This allows digestion to begin in the mouth and will take advantage of the activated multi-step extract so that many of the constituents bypass digestion and enter the body through the mouth and throat.* Holding the extract in the mouth also promotes better absorption and assimilation and elicits an immediate effect that is performance oriented.*
Mix with Water: squirt the drops or entire droppers into 2-4 oz. of water that is under 120*F. Water that is cool to lukewarm temperature is best to preserve the volatile and fragile constituents from being damaged and denatured which will reduce the potency of the extract.* Sip slowly to allow absorption in the mouth and throat.* This method makes it easier to become accustomed to the extract and to take larger doses of several different tinctures at once in a tonic program.*
For Maximum Potency: regularly consume the tincture within a period of 45 days; after 45 days of continuous consumption the extract may begin to gradually lose potency requiring a larger dosage to achieve similar benefit.* A bottle will generally last 10-30 days depending on dosage and concurrent supplementation programming.*
Further Dosage Reference: How to Take a Tonic Tincture
• Multi-step Hydroalcohol
• 1 dropper
• 1-3 droppers 1-3 times per day
• 1 pound : 1 pint - 57,000mgs to 2oz.(60ml)
• April 1st 2023
• 2 Years from manufacture
Expiration & Storage Information
Made In Oregon USA
He Shou Wu Tincture is ~1000mgs extract per 1ml dropper.
Questions and Answers
Common questions about He Shou Wu supplementation.
Please submit any question via our contact form.
We currently do not have any questions, please ask one.
Q: Do you use prepared or unprepared polygonum root?
A: We use black soybean and rice wine prepared polygonum which increases it's tonifying properties.